View Mobile Site

Free tax counseling available

Posted: February 21, 2012 10:21 a.m.
Updated: February 22, 2012 5:00 a.m.

Few things in life are free. 

But the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service, sponsors free tax assistance in Kershaw County.  The service is available for low- to moderate-income taxpayers, with special emphasis on people age 60 and over.

“Those who have relatively simple tax returns are the people we want to help,” said local coordinator W.W. “Woodie” Dixon of Camden.

According to Dixon, appointments are available on Tuesdays from 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. through April 17.  Those who want to schedule an appointment may call 713-9475. If there is no answer, leave a message and the scheduler will return the call.  The Tax-Aide service is based in the East Educational Building at First Baptist Church, 1201 Broad St., Camden.  The East Educational Building is directly across Broad Street from the Kershaw County Government Center. 

A trained local volunteer will help you fill out your tax return. This volunteer has been specially trained on items of special concern to older persons, including such things as:

• retirement income; what is taxable and what is not.

• earned income credit.

• death of a spouse.

• sale of stocks or bonds (be sure to bring all the documents you received related to the transaction).

• sale of a home (there will be an exclusion of capital gain if certain guidelines are met).

• qualifying widow or widower.

• child or dependent care credit.



Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...