View Mobile Site

Vandalism suspect dies

Posted: February 28, 2012 5:12 p.m.
Updated: February 29, 2012 5:00 a.m.

A woman who reportedly confessed to committing several acts of vandalism at local tobacco stores died Sunday.

Kershaw County Coroner Johnny Fellers said Pamela Wood, 64, of Broad Street, Camden, was found dead in her apartment Sunday morning.

“We conducted an autopsy today,” Fellers said Monday, but added he would hold off on ruling on a cause of death until toxicology results are provided, something that may take six to eight weeks. “That will tell us a lot of things.”

Fellers did not rule out the possibility Wood took her own life, but emphasized he wanted to wait on the toxicology test results.

According to a Camden Police Department (CPD) report, the man who rented Wood the apartment called officers around 9:50 a.m. Sunday because she was not answering her door or phone. He said when he went to check on her, he found her on the floor in front of the front door. He said he had contact with her was around 2 p.m. Friday. Officers checking Woods’ cell phone said the last call she made was Friday around 5:45 p.m. There also did not appear to be any activity on her computer since Friday.

Officers arrested Wood Feb. 13 after she confessed to vandalizing the Tobacco Corner and Cashman Pawn and Discount Tobacco stores in Camden several times between mid-October and mid-February.

Wood reportedly told the CPD she was a nurse practitioner. At the time of her arrest, CPD Chief Joe Floyd said his investigators were still trying to confirm if that was true. Monday, Floyd said they stopped researching that angle.

“I knew she was unemployed,” Floyd said, but that he did not know the circumstances of her unemployment.

CPD officers and Fellers had already dealt with another death Sunday. Dispatchers sent officers to the parking lot of a West DeKalb Street department store around 1:15 a.m. Sunday in response to a possible death.

The reporting officer said a couple parked next to a green minivan around midnight and saw a man sitting in the driver’s seat with the door open. They returned about an hour later and saw the man was still there. They asked an employee to come out and check on the man. The employee said he tried to wake the man without success. EMS, Fellers and two CPD senior officers responded to the scene.

The report identified the deceased as a 47-year-old Lugoff man.

The coroner’s office and CPD also investigated the apparent self-inflicted shooting death Feb. 20 of a 67-year-old Camden man in his vehicle, which was parked in a small downtown alley off Rutledge Street in Camden.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...