View Mobile Site

Cassatt man arrested after two-hour stand-off

Posted: October 29, 2013 5:19 p.m.
Updated: October 30, 2013 5:00 a.m.

Henry Lamar Stover

Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) deputies had to use a flash-bang and Cap Stun grenades and bean-bag rounds Saturday night to subdue a man accused of shooting at a woman living with him and her 3-week-old child.

According to a KCSO press release, deputies arrested Henry Lamar Stover, of Vulcan Drive, Cassatt, following a two-hour stand-off. After arresting him, deputies charged Stover with criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature, resisting arrest and unlawful conduct toward a child.

Deputies responded to Vulcan Drive around 9:40 p.m. Saturday to a call of “shots fired.” Deputies initially could not locate where the shooting had taken place until flagged down by a citizen who said they heard someone crying and shots fired from what turned out to be Stover’s residence.

The female victim escaped and she -- along with her sister and another relative -- met with deputies, telling them she and Stover had gotten into an argument, during which he became violent. She said she took her 3-week-old baby and hid in a bedroom closet. According to the woman, Stover grabbed a double-barrel shotgun and fired through the closet doorway, missing her and the child. She said she was able to escape and flee to a neighbor’s home where she called 911.

According to the incident report, Stover also allegedly threatened one of the victim’s family members with the gun when they showed up at the home.

Learning Stover was armed with a shotgun, deputies secured the perimeter and attempted to call Stover out of the residence. Deputies also contacted Stover’s father, who came to the scene, but was unable to talk Stover into surrendering.

At the KCSO’s request, a local fire department responded to the scene and placed on standby in case any “distraction devices” the KCSO used started a fire. Deputies ultimately forced their way into the residence, deploying a flash-bang device followed by a pepper spray grenade. Stover continued to resist, however, forcing deputies to shoot him twice with a 12-gauge non-lethal “bean bag” round. Deputies entering the home found Stover on top of the fully loaded shotgun. Stover struggled with deputies when they took him into custody.

Deputies then transported him to the Kershaw County Detention Center to await a bond hearing.

“This was a very dangerous situation and could have turned out a lot differently,” Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews said in the press release. “The deputies were very measured in their use of force and were able t6o take this man into custody with minimal injuries to the suspect and no injuries to our officers.

“I commend them once again for their professionalism.”

Deputies also determined that Stover was wanted to three outstanding narcotics charges and that he had just been released from prison following a conviction for unlawful conduct toward a child. According to the KCSO, he also has previous arrests for narcotics violations, traffic offenses, criminal domestic violence, trespassing, resisting arrest and failure to stop for a blue light.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...