View Mobile Site

Bengals pull away from L-E, 58-36

Posted: January 18, 2014 11:32 a.m.
Updated: January 20, 2014 5:00 a.m.
C-I photo by Tom Didato/

L-E’S ALDREACIO WELLS (2) fires a pass over the reach of a pair of Blythewood defenders to teammate Stacey Patterson in the first half of Friday’s loss to the Bengals at the Demons Den.

View More »

By design, a full-court press is intended to wear down your opponent through time.
It took Blythewood’s man-to-man pressure a little while to have its desired effect on Lugoff-Elgin on Friday night but by the second quarter, the host Demons lost the pep in their step en route to a 58-36 loss to the Bengals.
Hounding the L-E ball handlers from the get-go, Blythewood did not see an immediate return on its defensive effort as the Bengals held a 15-13 lead after the opening stanza. But the wear-and-tear of a physical first eight minutes took its toll on L-E, which did not make a basket from the field in the second quarter, as the guests carried a 33-16 advantage into the locker room at halftime.
After seeing his game troops fall to 0-3 in Region 4-4A play, first-year L-E head coach Garrett Knight said his team, temporarily, hit the wall in the second quarter.
“In the first quarter,” Knight said, “we had our legs under us. As the game progresses, (the press) wears on you. You do things that you don’t normally do and it leads you into having turnovers.”
Staring up at a 17-point halftime deficit, the Demons answered a half-opening 3-point jumper from Blythewood’s Kenny McCray with a 10-4 run which closed the gap to 40-28 with less than two minutes to play in the third.
A short jumper from senior guard Kevin Fields with 6:30 left in the third quarter snapped a drought of more than 11 minutes for the Demons from the field. Fields added another basket during the spree which also included a two Aldreacio Wells layins, a five-foot jumper from Daniel Quattlebaum and Elliott Campbell’s baseline drive which put the Demons within a dozen at 40-28.
L-E missed a chance to trim the deficit to single digits before the end of the quarter which saw the guests trailing, 42-29.
Knight said the goal for his team coming out of the locker room was the try to get the game into manageable numbers heading into the fourth quarter. “We went on that run in the third quarter and I thought we were playing great,” he said.
In a physical contest in which nearly 40 fouls were called, the Bengals started putting this one away from the foul line as they hit five freebies to L-E’s two in the opening three minutes of the fourth quarter to extend the lead to 47-31. A tip-in from BHS center Trae Churn put the advantage to a game-best 22 points, at 53-31, with four minutes left in the contest.
A Quattlebaum trey with 3:39 to go was the first of two baskets from the field by the hosts who made two baskets from the field in the even quarters as compared to having made 10 in the first and third stanzas.
“We played well in the first and third (quarters) and kind of slacked off in the second and fourth,” Knight said of his team’s inconsistent play. “If we can ever put it together for four quarters, we’ll be OK.”
Blythewood (2-1 in 4-4A) came into Friday’s game on the heels of an upset over Spring Valley on Tuesday night. It also marked the Bengals’ first meeting with L-E since the end of last season when the game between the two teams was stopped late in the fourth quarter when the physical nature of the contest got out of control, as per the view of the officials.
Blythewood was, again, the aggressor on Friday in picking up their man from one end of the floor to the other on defense. But the Demons were not about to be intimidated or, give in.
After a McCray 3-point shot gave BHS a 5-1 lead, L-E responded with a Quattlebaum layin and a 3-point jumper from freshman Tyrese Elm to trim the deficit to 7-6. The hosts would take the lead for the first time when a pair of Quattelebaum free throws and a Fields 3-point bomb put the Demons on top, 11-9, with 2:52 to play in the first quarter.
L-E had trouble containing the 6-foot-5 Churn under the glass as the sophomore center scored seven first quarter points. It was L-E, however, which upped its lead to three when Quattlebaum, who led the Demons with 11 points, banked home a layup on a ball which was saved from going out of bounds to make it 13-10 with 1:40 remaining in the first.
A traditional 3-point play from McCray and a Churn stickback in the final 97 seconds of the stanza would give the Bengals their 15-13 lead after one quarter.
Later, Knight said, this may well have been his team’s best quarter of the season, given the quality of their opponent. In the second quarter, BHS was 9-for-16 from the charity stripe as compared to L-E which converted on three of its eight tries from the foul line
“The first quarter was definitely our best quarter tonight. It might have been the best quarter we’ve played all year,” he said. “We played up to our competition and our boys were hustling all around the court.
“It just seemed like, after that first quarter, that we lost our momentum, our shots weren’t falling and we weren’t getting the fouls that we needed to get called.”
   BHS (58): Donovan Leach 3 0-0 6, Kenny McCray 4 4-5 15, Trae Churn 4 3-10 11, Eli Lake 2 6-8 10, Keiwan Hammond 1 1-2 3, Jacobi Bailey 2 3-4 7, Dominique Lemon 1 2-5 4, Camron Womack 1 0-0 2. Totals: 18 19-34 58
   L-E (36): Stacey Patterson 0 1-2 1, Daniel Quattlebaum 4 2-3 11, Tyrese Elam 1 1-5 4, Kevin Fields 3 0-0 7, Aldreacio Wells 2 4-6 8, Elliott Campbell 1 1-2 3, Jamerius Summerson 1 0-0 2. Totals: 12 9-18 36
   Score by quarters: First: BHS, 15-13; Halftime: BHS, 33-16; Third: BHS, 42-29; Three-point goals: BHS 3 (McCray 3), L-E 3 (Elm, Quattlebaum, Fields)


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...