View Mobile Site

Woman arrested in alleged knife attack

Posted: March 13, 2014 4:45 p.m.
Updated: March 14, 2014 5:00 a.m.

The Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) arrested an Elgin woman Tuesday after she allegedly stabbed another woman and cut a man in Lugoff. Sheriff Jim Matthews said deputies arrested Brandie Renee Hughes, 29, of Sessions Road, after she reportedly attacked the man and woman at a Lugoff motel on U.S. 1 at approximately 8 p.m. Tuesday.

In a press release, Matthews said Hughes’ arrest marked the second time that day deputies had responded to the motel because of an altercation between her and the other woman. Deputies reported finding the female victim laying in the parking lot with a stab wound to her torso; the man had already been taken to KershawHealth by his father and Hughes. Matthews said the female victim was ultimately flown to Palmetto Health Richland with non-life threatening injuries. He said the male victim was later taken by ambulance, also to Palmetto Health Richland, where he was treated and released.

Matthews said Hughes and the man had been living at the motel, but had been asked to leave because of the altercation earlier in the day. Later that evening, they returned to pick up some of their belongings and saw the woman and another man. Hughes and the woman started fighting and Hughes reportedly produced a knife and stabbed the woman, then cut the man she was with when he tried to break up the fight.

When responding deputies arrived and found weapons were involved, they frisked several people at the scene and found a quantity of crack cocaine on Ryan Braxton, 23, of White Pond Road, Elgin. He was taken to the Kershaw County Detention Center on charges of possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine. Online court records show Braxton was given a $20,000 cash bond. Kershaw County Detention Center records show Braxton was still incarcerated Thursday.

Deputies later arrested Hughes at KershawHealth and charged her with one count of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature and one count of second degree assault and battery. Deputies transported her to the Kershaw County Detention Center. Records show bond was set at $35,000 for Hughes; she, too, was still in jail Thursday.

Matthews said with multiple deputies answering the call, other areas of the county were left vulnerable.

“I was monitoring it over the radio, and it took at least three deputies to deal with the situation, which lengthened our response time to other calls,” the sheriff said. “It was a serious situation. We had to use a lot of our resources to handle this situation and the result is the rest of county’s calls for service had to be put on hold while this situation was handled.”


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...