View Mobile Site

CHS girls hold off L-E in PKs, 2-1

Posted: March 25, 2014 11:38 a.m.
Updated: March 26, 2014 5:00 a.m.

Using a 4-2 advantage in penalty kicks, Camden edged past visiting rival Lugoff-Elgin, 2-1, in a non-conference girls’ soccer match played Monday night at Zemp Stadium.
After the two sides were locked in a 1-1 tie after regulation and overtime, L-E’s Taylor Wise was the first shooter and sent a rocket toward the right post, but an outstretched Jordan Woody placed a hand on it and deflected the shot away. Woody then took her turn on the offensive side, sending a shot to the left of Lady Demon keeper Dena Stanley to give Camden a 1-0 advantage. L-E sophomore Bailey Lewter then beat Woody with a shot to the left post to even things at 1-1. 
Camden's second kicker, freshman Katie White, made it 2-1 by placing the ball just underneath the crossbar. Stanley then took to the offensive end and placed a ball past Woody to knot things at two. The tie would be short lived as Camden's Alejandra Cuytun beat Stanley with a shot to the upper left corner to extend the CHS lead to 3-2. After Woody's second save in the penalty kick phase, Camden senior Savannah Locke fired a shot to clinch the victory for the Lady Dogs.
“Hitting all four shots was huge for us, as we really put some pressure on them,” said CHS head coach Stephen Sutusky. 
“Jordan Woody set the tone with the first save, which was a big-time save and then by giving us the 1-0 lead during her turn to shoot.  Katie (White) and Alejandra's (Cuytun) shots were big time for us to give us some breathing room and I couldn't be more proud of Savannah's (Locke) shot to seal the deal for us.  Savannah is one of our best PK shooters and proved it tonight.”
Camden (4-4-1) struck first in regulation as freshman Brooke Galdeen crossed the ball in front of the goal and found an open Owens Morgan who gave the hostesses a 1-0 lead by way of her left foot just 15 minutes into the contest. 
“The first goal was huge for us; we were able to settle down and relax a bit,” said Sutusky, who praised the play of his entire team, both offensively and defensively. 
The first 15 minutes of the game saw both sides engage in a see-saw battle for possession with L-E controlling much of the pace of the game. Midway through the second half, the guests broke through offensively when Lewter scored on a shot from 30 yards out that dropped beneath the crossbar and out of the reach of Woody. 
“L-E had several scoring opportunities and once again Jordan came up huge for us, as did all of our defenders,” said Sutusky whose team had 10 shots on goal while the Lady Demons had 14 on the evening.
The two sides, who split their two matches against each other last season, will meet for a second time on May 1 when Camden makes the trip to Lugoff-Elgin Stadium.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...