View Mobile Site

Broad Street home certified as historic landmark

Posted: April 4, 2014 8:39 a.m.
Updated: April 7, 2014 5:00 a.m.

A photo of the McKain house, circa 1903

View More »


Recently, the Camden Historic Landmarks Commission (CHLC) and the city of Camden certified 1707 Broad St. as an historic landmark.

Originally known as the McKain House, John McKain -- a veteran of the War of 1812 and owner of a stagecoach line between Raleigh, N.C., and Augusta, Ga. -- erected the residence in 1850. The home’s construction used a popular two-over-four room design, fabricated with new as well as recycled materials, including old windows, doors and mantles from the late 1700s and early 1800s. The house remained in the McKain-Smyrl-Clyburn family for three generations.

In 1940, as World War II approached, the American Red Cross chose the home as the grounds for its Kershaw County chapter.

Today, Brenda and Jim Melton own the home, having lived in it for 12 years. The CHLC’s sole purpose in designating homes such as the Melton’s as historic landmarks is to identify, protect and preserve Camden’s historic sites and landmarks.

Seven volunteer residents, appointed by Camden City Council, comprise the commission. The CHLC operates under the direction of Chapter 158 of the city’s code of ordinances. Any structure 50 years or older qualifies for historic designation.

Designation applications may be obtained at Camden City Hall, 1000 Lyttleton St. There is no cost. Current CHLC members are Allen Roberts, chairman; Ben Schreiner, vice chairman; Norma Young; Nancy Wylie; Donna Freyer; and William “Rusty” Major.



Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2016 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...