View Mobile Site

Man accused of beating son rearrested

Posted: August 5, 2014 4:55 p.m.
Updated: August 6, 2014 5:00 a.m.

Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) deputies arrested a Camden man Aug. 1 for possession of a stolen handgun just days after being freed on a $20,000 bond for a charge of second-degree assault and battery. Deputies first arrested the man on July 26 for allegedly attacking his 12-year-old son with his fists and a flashlight. Online court records show the man was freed on bond on July 28.

A KCSO press release said deputies arrested the man again shortly after midnight Aug. 1 after finding him in possession of a stolen 9mm Ruger handgun. According to Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews, the man was riding in a vehicle driven by another man when it was stopped by a deputy assigned to the KCSO’s traffic unit.

The deputy reported smelling alcohol and removed both men from the vehicle. The handgun was found by the seat and had allegedly been purchased by the two men, the press release said.  The arresting officer determined the handgun had been reported stolen in Columbia.

Both men were charged with possession of a stolen handgun.

The man accused of assaulting his son has an extensive arrest record including arrests for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, numerous resisting arrests, assault and battery, disorderly conduct, multiple arrests for driving under the influence and driving under suspension, criminal domestic violence, criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated, open container and the July 26 arrest for second-degree assault and battery.

The other man, identified as Kenneth Qualls, 46, of Lugoff, has previous arrests for driving under suspension, petty larceny, public disorderly conduct, criminal domestic violence and possession of marijuana.

“(The first suspect) makes bond for the assault charge and now makes bond for possessing the stolen gun? This situation of offenders being out on multiple bonds has got to stop,” Matthews said. “We see this far too often and it is a disservice to the community.”

Online court records show both men were released on $5,000 bonds each on Saturday.

(Editor’s note: in order to protect the identity of the juvenile victim in the original assault case mentioned in this article, the C-I is not publishing the name of one of the suspects arrested in this incident.)


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2016 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...