View Mobile Site

‘Squeaky’ Truesdale exhibit on display at Camden Archives and Museum

Posted: August 22, 2014 2:40 p.m.
Updated: August 25, 2014 6:00 a.m.
/

John “Squeaky” Truesdale rides Ruffian, a legendary filly, in this photo that is representative of a collection on display through August 2015 at the Camden Archives and Museum.

 

An exhibit on John “Squeaky” Truesdale (1937-1996) is on display at the Camden Archives and Museum through August 2015.

Mrs. Mary Truesdale and the family of John Truesdale, better known to the community as “Squeaky,” loaned the museum several photographs and objects related to Mr. Truesdale’s career as a jockey and exercise rider.

The oldest of six children, Truesdale was born in Camden in 1937. By the age of 12, he had left school to begin working full time to help support his family. For 25 years, Truesdale worked for steeplechase trainer Charlie Cushman.

According to accomplished jockey John Cushman, Truesdale “could ride absolutely anything, was very relaxed and easy with horses; he just got along with them.”

After Cushman’s retirement, Truesdale became one of Frank Whiteley’s best riders; skilled in schooling both jumpers and for his abilities with flat racers.

Throughout his career, John “Squeaky” Truesdale came into contact with some of the best racehorses of the past 50 years, including the legendary filly Ruffian, and made many important contributions to racing.

The exhibit is open to the public. Admission is free. For more information call 425-6050.

(Photo and information provided by the city of Camden.)

 

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2016 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...