View Mobile Site

Spartans come up short in season finale, 27-22

Posted: November 4, 2014 1:10 p.m.
Updated: November 5, 2014 1:00 a.m.

As they made their way onto the bus early Saturday morning, the Camden Military Academy football players and coaching staff knew what they were in for in terms of how long a trip it would be to Rabun Gap, Ga.

What the Spartans were not prepared for were the conditions which greeted them in the Peach State following a journey of some four hours.

In a game played in rain with wind gusts of 30 to 50 miles per hour, CMA closed out its season with a 27-22 loss to the hosts. The Spartans finished with a 3- 5 record.

Given the speed of the wind, it was not surprising that both teams did all their scoring when the wind was at their back. For the host Eagles, that meant scoring 14 first quarter points and 13 in the third stanza. The Spartans did their damage with 15 second quarter points and another seven in the fourth.

"The game was played in brutal conditions," said CMA head coach Will Rice.

"We had our shots to win the game in the fourth quarter after we scored, but we couldn’t get anything going after our last touchdown."

After spotting the Eagles a 14-0 first quarter lead, CMA was able to make some headway in playing with the wind in the second quarter.

Rice said his team got off to a slow start, part of which could be attributed to a lengthy journey to get to the game site.

"We had a slow first quarter," he said. "That could have been from the long bus trip there, but you can’t use that as an excuse. When it comes kickoff time, you have to be ready to get it going, no matter how long you traveled."

Nyaun Pate got the Spartans’ offense going with an 18-yard scoring run to close the gap to 14-0. On the ensuing kick, the Spartans forced and recovered a fumble which turned into a one-yard quarterback keeper for a touchdown by Raeshawn Breckenridge, who also ran in the two-point conversion to give the guests a 15-14 lead at halftime.

Playing with the wind, Rabun Gap tacked on two touchdowns to go on top, 27-15, after three quarters. CMA used a 40-yard scoring run from fullback Ian Benton in the final stanza to get to within 27-22, but could not get the winning touchdown.

"We fought hard and we battled back," Rice said of his team’s effort. "We had a chance to win it if we could have gotten that last drive going. We just couldn’t get it all to come together for us at the end."


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...