View Mobile Site

S.C. Susan G. Komen chapters merge

Posted: May 4, 2017 5:42 p.m.
Updated: May 5, 2017 1:00 a.m.

Susan G. Komen Lowcountry and Komen SC Mountains to Midlands are proud to announce a plan to strengthen operations and increase their impact by joining together as a single organization. The name for the new united Affiliate is “Komen South Carolina,” which will reach the entire state including the previously un-served counties of Marlboro, Dillon, Darlington, Lee, Sumter and Clarendon.  

Susan G. Komen’s mission is to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer. Komen has announced a new, organization-wide, bold goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent in the U.S. by 2026.  To accomplish this goal, Komen and its Affiliates will be focusing heavily on investments in research for new early detection methods and treatments for aggressive and metastatic breast cancer, as well as addressing disparities in access to and timely utilization of quality breast cancer care to improve outcomes.

Komen Affiliates play a significant role in both of these strategic focus areas, as 25 percent of the funds raised locally are invested in Komen’s national research program, while the remaining 75 percent is used by Komen South Carolina to make an impact through community granting and local breast health programs, determined through a comprehensive study of breast health and breast cancer needs in the Affiliate’s service area.

Comments

Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.


Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...