View Mobile Site

Columbia man charged with felony DUI for Jan. 27 crash

Posted: February 1, 2018 4:35 p.m.
Updated: February 2, 2018 1:00 a.m.
Provided by the KCDC/

Ricky Donell Willis

A Columbia man is charged with felony DUI with great bodily injury for causing a Jan. 27 collision involving three vehicles in front of the main Camden post office and sending a husband and wife to the hospital.

According to a Camden Police Department (CPD) report, Ricky Donell Willis, 56, of Long Needle Drive, Columbia, is facing the felony DUI charge. Willis’ blood alcohol content reading came back as .31, nearly four times the legal limit of .08, according to the report.

The collision occurred around 7:20 p.m. when Willis allegedly ran the red light at Broad and DeKalb streets. According to the CPD’s collision report, Willis -- driving a 2007 Ford SUV --  was traveling east on DeKalb Street, when he ran the red light and “T-boned” a 2016 Nissan SUV being driven north through the intersection on Broad Street by a 32-year-old Camden woman in which her 28-year-old husband was a passenger.

The victims’ Nissan overturned and ended up striking the driver’s side rear fender area of a 2011 Honda car stopped at the light on the westbound side of DeKalb Street being driven by a 37-year-old Elgin woman.

The collision report shows Willis was traveling at 40 mph. The speed limit decreases on DeKalb Street between Campbell and Broad streets from 35 mph to 30 mph. The victims were traveling at only 20 mph in a 25 mph speed zone as they attempted to pass through the intersection.

The report indicates the victims had to be extricated from their vehicle and were transported for treatment. It shows the female victim suffered non-incapacitating injuries, but that her husband was incapacitated from his injuries. The driver of the third vehicle suffered possible injuries, but was not transported to a hospital.

After being booked at the Kershaw County Detention Center, an officer transported Willis to KershawHealth to be medically evaluated. He was cleared medically and transported to the jail where he was later released on a $15,000 cash/surety bond.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...