View Mobile Site

Man pleads guilty for 2016 stabbing

Posted: February 19, 2018 5:37 p.m.
Updated: February 20, 2018 1:00 a.m.

A Camden man arrested in October 2016 for stabbing another man multiple times pleaded guilty Feb. 2 to first-degree assault and battery, according to information on the Kershaw County Clerk of Court’s website.

The Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) initially charged Joseph Terry Mathis, who was 23 at the time, with attempted murder after deputies responded to a residence on the 1000 block of Kennedy Street around 7 a.m. Oct. 1, 2016. There, deputies found the victim sitting in a chair on the front porch of the residence with multiple stab wounds to his head, back and hand. Mathis, who was reportedly intoxicated, was sitting inside the house smoking a cigarette.

According to a KCSO press release at the time, the victim advised the officers that Mathis had come to the house earlier in the morning after having been at a club in Columbia. At some point Mathis became irate over the fact that the victim was dating his former girlfriend. The owner of the house asked Mathis to leave, but he refused.

After a period of time Mathis went into the kitchen where he allegedly retrieved a knife. Mathis then went back into the living room of the home where the victim was sitting in a recliner. Mathis allegedly walked up behind the victim and began stabbing him in the head, back and hand numerous times.

A Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office investigator went to the residence and took statements from the victim and witnesses. The investigator also seized the knife used in the attack and processed the scene. The investigator interviewed Mathis at the scene and his details of the incident corresponded to the statements by the victim and witnesses. The victim was transported to KershawHealth where he was treated and released.

No bond was set for Mathis until Feb. 14, 2017. A judge set it for $20,000, requiring a 2 percent payment in order for Mathis to be released. A bonding company covered the bond that same day.

At the time of his arrest, the KCSO said Mathis had previously been arrested for shoplifting, minor in possession of alcohol, open container, defrauding hotel, public disorderly conduct, second degree burglary, simple possession of marijuana and multiple narcotics charges out of state, according to the press release.

According to online court records, following the Feb. 2 guilty plea, a judge sentenced Mathis to three years in prison, suspended upon one year of active jail time with credit for the 137 days he spent in the detention center following his arrest. He will be placed on probation for five years and must pay $5,525 in restitution to the victim.

According to S.C. Department of Corrections online records, Mathis is currently being held at the Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center in Columbia where he is being evaluated to determine where he will ultimately spend his sentence.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...