View Mobile Site

Daughtery pleads guilty, gets probation

Posted: March 26, 2018 5:30 p.m.
Updated: March 27, 2018 1:00 a.m.

The last of three men arrested a year ago for a string of motor vehicle break-ins in and around Camden pleaded guilty to charges against him on March 19.

Dakota Shane Daughtery, 22, of Oak Hill Road, Camden, pleaded guilty to one count of criminal conspiracy and nine counts of larceny/breaking into motor vehicles. A circuit court judge sentenced Daughtery to five years in prison, suspended upon five years probation, substance abuse counseling and random drug and alcohol tests.

Daughtery originally faced 14 motor vehicle break-in charges, but the 5th Circuit Solicitor’s Office dropped the other five charges, along with one for housebreaking.

The Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) and Camden Police Department (CPD) arrested Daughtery; Jonathan William Ray, 22, of Mount Hebron Road, Cassatt; and Sean Michael Taylor, 21, of Mill Creek Road, Bethune on March 8, 2017.

According to reports at the time, dispatchers had received calls about multiple vehicle break-ins inside the city of Camden and unincorporated areas just outside the city. Deputies and police officers set up a perimeter and officers from both agencies soon captured the trio. Deputies found Daughtery and Taylor wearing backpacks containing items from the break-ins. The 15 charges against them and Ray stemmed from 11 break-ins in the county and four inside the city limits.

Taylor pleaded guilty to eight motor vehicle break-in charges, criminal conspiracy, the sale/delivery or possession of a stolen pistol and financial transaction card theft in late June 2017. A judge sentenced Taylor to six years in prison under the S.C. Youthful Offenders Act, suspended with five years probation. The solicitor’s office dropped the other six motor vehicle break-in charges against him, along with the housebreaking charge.

Ray pleaded guilty in October 2017 to 10 motor vehicle break-in charges and was sentenced to five years in prison, suspended to time served and four years probation. A judge also ordered him to obtain his GED and undergo both substance abuse counseling and random drug and alcohol tests. Ray also pleaded guilty to the criminal conspiracy charge, while the solicitor’s office dropped four motor vehicle break-in charges against him as well as habitual traffic offender, attempted housebreaking and financial transaction card theft charges.

Woman pleads to drug charges

A woman arrested on various drug and other charges in February pleaded guilty to four drug charges. The 5th Circuit Solicitor’s Office dropped a fourth charge of possession of a stolen pistol.

Alexia Shontae Johnson, 21, of Smyrna Road, Elgin, pleaded guilty Thursday not only for charges related to her arrest in February, but charges that appear to be connected to an earlier case in 2017. Johnson pleaded guilty to the manufacture or possession with intent to distribute a Schedule I, II or III controlled substance or flunitrazepam in connection with an arrest listed on Nov. 28, 2017; the same charge for an arrest listed on Dec. 10, 2017; a third count of the same charge for her arrest on Feb. 13 of this year; and the manufacture, distribution or possession of a Schedule I(b) or (c) drug, LSD or a Schedule II narcotic, on Feb. 13.

The dropped weapons charge was in connection with her arrest this year on Feb. 13.

According to a KCSO press release in February, investigators arrested Johnson after discovering evidence indicating Johnson had been selling multiple pounds of marijuana and other drugs during the previous year. In 2017, narcotics investigators executed a search warrant on a home where Johnson and her boyfriend were living and seized a large quantity of methamphetamine, marijuana and crack. In that press release, the KCSO indicated Johnson’s boyfriend claimed ownership of the drugs, and Johnson was not arrested.

It was unclear from online court records whether the 2017 charges Johnson pleaded guilty to were related to that incident.

However, the KCSO alleged in February that Johnson moved the drug-dealing operation to a new residence on Smyrna Road. Investigators received information Johnson was selling a variety of illegal narcotics from the new residence. Following about two months of surveillance, investigators observed Johnson depart in a burgundy Dodge Nitro and initiated a traffic stop near Smyrna and Gettys roads. Upon approaching the Nitro, they smelled marijuana and conducted a search of the car, which turned up two book bags. Inside those, they found about 7.5 pounds of marijuana, scales, 2 grams of heroin and a stolen Glock .40 caliber pistol.

A circuit court judge sentenced Johnson on Thursday to five years in prison under the S.C. Youthful Offenders Act, suspended on two years of probation, substance abuse counseling and an order to obtain her GED.

2011 speeder pleads guilty

Online court records also show that a man county deputies arrested back in 2011 pleaded guilty to failing to stop for blue lights nearly six and a half years after his arrest. Joshua Damian Boyter, 28, of Greenville, pleaded guilty to the charge on Thursday.

According to a KCSO press release issued in mid-November 2011, deputies arrested Boyton following a chase on I-20 involving his motorcycle that reached speeds of up to 131 mph. A KCSO traffic enforcement team member initially clocked Boyter traveling at 89 mph. The deputy pursued him, only to have Boyter flee at an even higher rate of speed. Boyter had also, somehow, turned off the motorcycle’s taillights, making it harder for deputies to see him.

A second deputy, traveling at 70 mph, positioned himself so he would encounter Boyter and clocked him at 131 mph just before the motorcycle passed his patrol car. Deputies terminated the pursuit as the chase approached a serious accident on I-20 that had traffic stopped for several miles that day.

However, when they arrived at the accident scene, deputies drove down the median and were able to find Boyter. He attempted to pull out and go around traffic, but deputies apprehended him before he could get away.

In the 2011 press release, Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews said people in stopped vehicles applauded as deputies took Boyter into custody.

After deputies arrested him, Boyter showed them a cut-off switch for his taillight -- not a standard piece of equipment. He admitted he had run from law enforcement previously, but had not been caught before. A records check indicated Boyter was also wanted out of Fountain Inn for traffic violations; his criminal record indicated previous arrests for burglary, grand larceny and possession of a motor vehicle.

On Thursday, a circuit court judge sentenced Boyter to time served and suspended his driver’s license. According to court records, Boyter pleaded guilty to a speeding charge in February 2012 and was sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined $185.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...