View Mobile Site

Camden man charged with firing shots into home

Posted: September 27, 2018 5:44 p.m.
Updated: September 28, 2018 1:00 a.m.
Provided by the Kershaw County Detention Center/

Raheem Fuller

Camden Police Department (CPD) officers arrested Raheem Kawon Fuller, 28, of Arnett Drive in east Camden, for allegedly firing at least five rounds into a Court Street home around 10 p.m. Monday. No one was injured, according to the CPD report.

The daughter of a 54-year-old man living in the home called dispatchers and met with her father and officers there. The man said he was at home alone lying in bed when a younger man -- later identified as Fuller -- announced himself at his front door and asked if his son was home. The victim said he told Fuller his son was not home, but expected him shortly. After a few minutes, the man suddenly heard gunshots outside the house and bullets striking it. He said he briefly dropped to the floor before running out the back door and hid under a neighbor’s vehicle. The man told officers he believed Fuller was either trying to harm or intimidate his son.

An officer discovered five bullet holes in the porch screen, bullet strikes in a bedroom window casing and two holes in the bedroom window glass.

At this point, the man’s son showed up and said he knew who was responsible. He said he had been at a friend’s house when he saw Fuller walk by in the direction of his and his father’s home and then heard the gunshots. The young man said Fuller was wearing a checkered long-sleeve button-up shirt over a white tank top T-shirt and gray pants.

After providing this information, the younger man left the scene stating he would “take care of this” himself. Despite that, officers called a detective to the scene to begin investigating.

Around 2:20 a.m. Tuesday, the daughter called back saying there was a man at her apartment on Trinity Court causing trouble and hung up. While en route, the officer heard from the detective saying he was on his way to get an arrest warrant for Fuller signed by a judge. Officers converged on the young woman’s apartment complex and one of the officers approached a man who was wearing clothing that matched her brother’s description of Fuller. The young woman managed to covertly motion to the officer that Fuller was the suspect involved in the earlier shooting incident.

Fuller ran when the officer instructed him to turn around to be handcuffed; the officer lost him as he entered a wooded area. Officers and Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office (KCSO) deputies set up a perimeter, and the KCSO dog team arrived to assist.

Meanwhile, the victim’s daughter told them she believed Fuller resided at a home on King Street. CPD and KCSO units responded to that residence and gained consent to conduct a search. They found Fuller purportedly asleep on a sofa in one of the rooms, and he did not respond to commands to show his hands. At this point, the reporting officer entered the room, drew his service weapon and pointed it directly at Fuller as he and two deputies approached him.

The officers woke Fuller up, placed him on the ground and handcuffed him. On the sofa next to him, officers reported finding the clothing he had been described as wearing during the shooting incident and a white ball cap he’d been wearing when the officer had chased him into the woods.

A search turned up two .22 caliber bullets in Fuller’s pants pockets, but not a firearm.

In all, the CPD charged Fuller with resisting arrest, discharging a firearm into a dwelling and first-degree assault. As of Wednesday, jail records show he was being held on a total of $45,000 bond.

In February 2011, barely a month and a half after he took office, KCSO Sheriff Jim Matthews and former Chief Deputy Marvin Brown were driving behind a silver Honda Accord being driven erratically on Camden’s Church Street. The Honda turned out to have been stolen; Fuller was at the wheel. Matthews and Brown followed him to Gates Street where Fuller pulled up in front of a house. They got out and approached him with guns drawn and instructed him to put his hands on the wheel so they could talk.

Instead, Fuller took off, leading them and other sheriff’s deputies and CPD officers on a high-speed, 6-mile chase that ended in Lugoff. The KCSO charged him with possession of a stolen vehicle, failure to stop for blue lights, resisting arrest, driving under suspension, and marijuana possession.

In November 2011, Fuller pleaded guilty to the failing to stop for blue lights, marijuana possession and resisting arrest charges, for which a judge sentenced him to one year in prison suspended to time served.

A month later, Fuller was one of three men charged with “unlawful entry into an enclosed space after 6 p.m.” -- essentially trespassing -- as well as conspiracy to commit that crime for illegally entering the county landfill and trying to break into one of the county’s trucks at the site. A judge found him guilty of the trespassing charge, sentencing him to 30 days in jail. The conspiracy charge was dismissed.

Nearly six months later, in early May 2012, deputies encountered Fuller again after learning he was en route to steal a SUV from a location on U.S. 1 South in Lugoff near Roseborough Road. Dispatchers told deputies Fuller had apparently stolen a tag from a family member’s car in order to place it on a Ford Expedition he planned to steal. Dispatchers then advised Fuller was in the Expedition waiting for the right time to drive off. At that point, deputies approached the vehicle. Fuller exited the vehicle and ran off, dropping a ski mask, gun with the serial number filed off, keys to the Expedition and a cellphone with pictures of the Ford on it. Initially, deputies were unable to find Fuller, but determined he had broken into a nearby motel room and found him under a bed. They charged him with unlawful carrying of a pistol, breaking into a motor vehicle, resisting arrest, third-degree burglary, grand larceny and marijuana possession.

Fuller pleaded guilty in June 2012 to grand larceny, resisting arrest, breaking into a motor vehicle, and unlawful carrying of a pistol, for which a judge sentenced him to five years with credit for time served. The solicitor’s office dropped the third-degree burglary charge.

Fuller’s criminal history in Kershaw County dates back to at least 2009. According to online court records, he also pleaded guilty to failing to stop for blue lights and using a vehicle without permission in 2009. In 2010, a judge found him guilty during a bench trial of DUI, first offense, with a blood alcohol content result of between .1 and .16. He was found guilty at a 2011 bench trial of malicious injury to property. Fuller also pleaded guilty to failing to stop for blue lights and the unlawful carrying of a pistol in 2016.


Commenting not available.
Commenting is not available.

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2018 Chronicle Independent All rights reserved. Privacy policy and Terms of service

Powered by
Morris Technology
Please wait ...