A three-vehicle crash left I-20 blocked for several hours near the Kershaw/Richland County line Sunday. Lugoff Fire-Rescue Chief Dennis Ray said a Ford Mustang and Dodge pickup truck were traveling westbound on I-20 when they collided. The S.C. Highway Patrol (SCHP) said the Mustang drove partially off the left side of the road, over-corrected and struck the pickup, causing that driver to lose control, rolling the truck several times. The Mustang then drove underneath an already disabled tractor-trailer truck stopped on the shoulder.
Lugoff Fire-Rescue (LF-R) Chief Dennis Ray presented two officer promotions, one new employee and one retiree to those attending the LF-R Board's meeting on May 19. The meeting took place at LF-R headquarters in Lugoff.
A county man who admitted to being an illegal drug maker will spend the next several years in prison after pleading guilty to his second offenses of manufacturing methamphetamine and possession of marijuana, and for violating the hazardous waste act.
Laurie and Bill Funderburk welcomed celebrated author Pat Conroy to their bookstore, Books on Broad, Thursday for a book signing, with a line that extended all the way through the store and out the front door. Laurie Funderburk she and her husband had the opportunity to speak with Conroy at a conference they both attended in New Orleans in October.
A Lancaster County man is behind bars in Kershaw County, charged with two counts of first degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor under the age of 11. Kershaw County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) deputies arrested Grant Adam Helms Jr., 24, of Old Camden Road in the town of Kershaw. Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews said in a statement released to the press that Helms turned himself in on April 8 and admitted his actions.
The Camden Fire Department (CFD) and S.C. Fire Marshal's Office (SCFMO) would rather prevent fires and the tragedies they bring than fight them. With that mission, the two agencies recently joined forces April 24 in Camden's Kirkwood community to provide and install free smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and share fire prevention information with residents. The project was funded by a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).