By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Free tax service eases filing headaches for elderly
Placeholder Image

Age can have its advantages when it comes to paying federal income taxes.

If you’re 65 or older, you get a higher standard deduction. Your gross income can be higher without it even being necessary to file a federal tax return.

If you need help figuring out whether you owe taxes or don’t owe taxes, assistance will be provided, by appointment, on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. through April 14. Call 713-9475 for an appointment. If there is no answer, leave a message and a volunteer scheduler will return your call. The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP), in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), has sponsored the free tax assistance in Kershaw County for more than 20 years. The service is available for low- to moderate-income taxpayers who have relatively simple tax returns, with special emphasis on age 60 and over.

Local Coordinator Woodie Dixon said this assistance will be provided in Camden at the Kershaw Baptist Association (KBA) Building, 14 East DeKalb St., the same location as last year. Those who make appointments should park behind the KBA building.

Bring all your documents related to all sources of income and deductions during 2014, including whether each person on the tax return had health insurance coverage during 2014. Medicare, Medicaid and health care insurance provided through your employer will meet government-mandated minimum coverage standards. Other policies will also be acceptable. Please bring information about the health insurance coverage for all the members of your tax household.

Those persons or families who purchased health care insurance for 2014 through the Government Insurance Marketplace ( or through a private insurance company will receive a Form 1095-A in the mail from the insuring company. That form must be brought to the Tax-Aide location at the time of your appointment because there is important information on Form 1095-A that must be included on your 2014 tax return.

Also please bring Social Security cards for all persons to be named on the tax return, to help insure accuracy of the return. A copy of last year’s tax return will also be most helpful.