Mark Mason Sr., president of the Lugoff Automotive Group and Midlands Automotive Group, recently announced its dealerships have made a $25,000 donation to the American Red Cross to assist Columbia-area residents with flood relief.
“There are a lot of area families in great need right now due to being flooded out of their homes and the Red Cross is one organization that can immediately help them,” Mason said in a press release. “We are fortunate that we’re in a position to assist financially.”
Mason went on to say that he hopes many other business’ step up and help out in their own way.
“This is our community, if we all pull together, we’ll get through this,” he said.
According to the press release, giving back to the community is nothing new for Mason and his five automotive dealerships; it is an active part in how they do business. Mason, his family and dealerships are also involved in:
• Lighthouse for Life -- Lugoff Toyota is the founding sponsor of this organization which provides safe havens for victims of human trafficking.
• United Way -- The national charity recently presented the Tocqueville Society Award to the dealership for its generous contributions over the years.
• Toys for needy children -- At Christmas time, local schools identify families in need. Lugoff Toyota collects their “wish lists” and provides gifts ranging from bikes and baby dolls to hairbrushes and toothbrushes.
• Oliver Gospel Mission -- The dealership donates money and a helping hand to serve meals to hungry families in their community. The need is great: 17 percent of Kershaw County residents live below the national poverty line.
• Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office -- Lugoff Toyota underwrites the cost of bulletproof vests for deputies.
The Lugoff Automotive Group consists of Lugoff Toyota, Lugoff Ford and Carolina Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram all located in Lugoff. The Midlands Automotive Group consists of Midlands Mazda and Midlands Volkswagen located on Broad River Rd. in Columbia.