By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Child alerts family to house fire, all escape safely
Mattress Fire
What remains of a mattress sits outside a home on Dove Road southeast of Camden. An electrical outlet set fire to the mattress in a bedroom. A 6-year-old boy living there woke up, realized the mattress was on fire, and woke up his brother who was sleeping on it. He then alerted the rest of the family, allowing all of them to get out safely. - photo by Gary Phillips
The quick actions of a young child averted tragedy early Jan. 22, helping a family of seven escape a mobile home fire southeast of Camden. Charlotte-Thompson Volunteer Fire Department Capt. William Glover said the blaze was sparked by a faulty electrical outlet that set fire to a mattress inside a mobile home on Dove Road. “We received a call about 12:20 a.m.,” Glover said.