By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Year in Review - Part 2 of 3
Train derailment, scoreboard controversy mark mid-year news
A train derailed in Lugoff about 1 a.m. Aug. 5. A dozen cars, including two locomotives and at least one tanker carrying hazardous material, left the track. By Aug. 6, CSX crews had removed the cars from the track and repaired it enough for trains to slowly move along the damaged area. No hazardous materials leaked and no one was injured. - photo by Provided by LF-R
May In early May, the Historic Camden Foundation announced the Palmetto Conservation Foundation (PCF) had transferred ownership of the 476-acre core Battle of Camden battlefield site to Historic Camden. The battlefield is a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. During the last 15 years, PCF had worked to establish a 3-mile walking trail system at the site with interpretative signage and restoration of the longleaf pines that existed during the 1780 battle.