Kate Williams Tabor, 85, died peacefully surrounded by family at
Sibley Hospital in Washington, DC Sunday morning. The cause of death
was congestive heart failure.
She was born June 15, 1927 in Baton Rouge, LA, during the great
Mississippi flood of that year. She was the daughter of David
Rogerson Williams and Martha Hill Williams. Her father's engineering
and pipeline construction company, a forerunner of The Williams
Companies of Oklahoma, had been taking natural gas into the city of
She was raised at Mulberry Plantation outside Camden after her father
purchased it from relatives in 1928. She also spent early childhood
summers in Oklahoma due to her father's work. Starting in 1937, her
family spent summers in the North Carolina mountains, at Linville,
NC. Mrs. Tabor was a great, great niece of Southern diarist Mary
She attended Camden schools in the 1930s and graduated from the
Garrison Forest School in 1945 and from Sarah Lawrence College in
1949. During the 1940s and early 1950s, Mrs. Tabor, an accomplished
horsewoman, was often a whipper-in with the Camden Hunt under Master
of Fox Hounds (M.F.H.) Edith Dubose.
After her marriage to John K. Tabor in l952, she lived in Pittsburgh,
PA. She was an original member of the Women's Committee of the
Carnegie Museum of Art. She was one of the founders of Pittsburgh's
Three Rivers Arts Festival for which she received a Public Service
Citation from the Mayor of Pittsburgh. She also often served as
field master with the Westmoreland Hunt in western Pennsylvania,
which later merged with the Rolling Rock Hunt.
After a period of years when her husband served in state government
in Harrisburg, the Tabors returned to Pittsburgh where she joined the
Board of Three Rivers Youth.
In l973, she moved to Washington, DC when her husband was appointed
Undersecretary of Commerce by President Nixon. She became Chairman
of the Women's Committee of the Corcoran Galley of Art and an ex-
officio member of the Corcoran Board of Trustees from 1982-l984. She
was a President of the Georgetown Garden Club. She also worked part-
time for the Clerk of the Works at the Washington National Cathedral
during the Cathedral's final years of building. She was an active
member of Georgetown's St. John's Episcopal Church.
For almost 60 years, she and her family have spent summers on
Cuttyhunk Island, MA.
She is survived by two sons, John K. Tabor, Jr. of Portsmouth, NH
and William H. Tabor of Alexandria, VA; a brother, Joseph H.
Williams of Charleston, SC; one granddaughter, Laura H. Tabor of
Boulder, CO, and three grandsons, Maxwilliam W. Tabor of Portsmouth,
NH, and Emmett F. and Charles H.Tabor of Alexandria, VA.
A celebration of her life will take place at 2 p.m. December 10th at
St. John's Church, 3240 O Street NW in Washington, DC. In lieu of
flowers, donations may be made to the church or the Women's Committee
of the Corcoran Museum of Art.