Camden Rotary, a chapter of Rotary International, was founded 86 years ago on October 11, 1927. In 2012, the organization celebrated 85 years of service in the Camden community. Charter members included Camden Rotary President Dr. John Corbett, Ralph N. Shannon as secretary-treasurer and A. Stanley Llewellyn as the vice president. Camden Rotary’s Rotary Bell, which is still in use today, was presented in 1928 by John Wilson of Sumter.
Rotary International is a service organization in which business and professional members from the community "provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards and help build goodwill and peace in the world."
There are 32,000 Rotary clubs internationally in 200 countries.
Bob Giangiorgi, president of Camden Rotary, is looking forward to continuing to serve the community and is hoping to continue to diversify the membership of the organization.
Over the years, Camden Rotary has participated in various service projects that have had both a national and international impact. Locally, the Rotary has sponsored the Interact club at North Central High School which focuses on student community service. Camden Rotary has also participated in a dictionary program which donates dictionaries to students.