The King Haiglar Garden Club will meet Monday at 3:30 p.m. in Proctor Hall. Marguerite Glasgow wil host the group; Sherry Sweet-Miller, Grace Yougn, and Anne Hutchins will co-host.
The hands-on program, “Table Settings and Decorations” will be presented by Linda Shaylor and Ellen Vaughan. Hints on napkin folding will also be included. The group will be divided into groups of three and four with everyone being able to participate. Each small group will set a place setting including an arrangement for judging,
The arrangement theme for February is “Appreciating the Beauty of Friends.” Garden speciments and arrangements need to be in place by 3 p.m. for judging. This month’s judges are Carol Meckstroth, Judy Smith, and Cathy Moss. Garden maintenance volunteers for February are Harriett Thomas and Mary Acken.
February Garden Tips:
• Prune established rose bushes back to 3-5 canes on Valentine’s Day.
• Trim or mow ornamental grasses back before new growth appears.
• Start seeds of warm season vegetables and herbs indoors.
• Flower of the month: violet
• Herb of the month: rose geranium
• Vegetable of the month: squash